Background

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Heroine Eyes

The word hero triggers strong emotions for a majority of people, emotions of admiration and confidence. An adolescent girl might picture a young, attractive, pop music artist who made his way to the top, not with money or connections, rather by putting himself out for the world see. A freshly ripened man could be expected to gawk at the most powerful being in the world. A man, with new ideas and promises of change, who wants to help people of all classes. A senescent woman may lull herself out of reality with thoughts of a vibrant, skillful artist of food who she watches during the afternoon. The elderly woman may admire her constant essence of joy she emits even while struggling with weight and marital problems. The definition of hero changes for almost every individual out there. I envision a person who has helped me grow and learn how to love myself for everything great about me, and change the things that are not as marvelous. She stands up for what she believes in, no matter who against. Someone who works as hard as she possibly can, just to take a little of the load off of someone else’s shoulders. Someone who pushes people willing to work as hard as she does, to make them the best they can be. All of these attributes apply to my hero and my coach, Becky Bunnel.

Becky has been my coach for the past four and a half years. She changed my life in every possible way. When I first walked into her domain, I possessed an air of awkwardness, anxiousness, and confusion. At the age of twelve, I had yet to find my true identity. She steadily worked with me, teaching me the basics of cheer, the stressful first floors, the excruciating extensions, and the dreaded libs. After weeks of practice, my body, agonized from flying elbows and knees to the face, and my depleting social life tried to pressure me into quitting. Rehearsals for my departure proved futile after her emerald eyes locked onto mine and she thanked me for my effort. Her gaze seemed to ignite a spark in my brain, turning the motor and inspiring me to work for this new life. Suddenly, the stressful first floors seemed simple, the excruciating extensions seemed exciting, and the dreaded, single footed libs seemed dandy.

We spent the next couple months of All-Star Cheer on learning, practicing, and preforming our competition routine. However, these months in my social world had been spent alone, confused, and with a feeling of abandonment. The idea of a male cheerleader seemed to scare my “friends” away. I could not let myself focus on silly things like this though, my passion of stunting gave me the strength to ignore the cruel boys. While my stunting skills increased, my dancing level stayed at embarrassingly awkward. Becky told me to just let it all out, try to explode, don’t hold back an ounce. I would attempt but fail because of the fear of the little voice in my head. Not until my first competition did I truly understand her words. The awing numbness I experienced after my first competition revigorated me. The hundreds of eyes seemed to pull out all of my insecurities. Preforming became my drug; I still use it to get my high to this day. This purging drug raised my self-esteem. I began talking to new people, my best friends. Little does Becky know that she saved my social health. Her influences caused me to tear down my façade and expose myself to the world, whether it likes it or not.

Becky’s strength is incalculable; she seems to be able to assist myself and the entire cheer squad in every aspect, take care of the cheer secretarial jobs, and raise two kids... and a husband. She juggles these absorbing tasks all while maintaining a touching strength and awing elegance. Becky forefends her hard working, truthful ways. She expects one-hundred percent out of every person she takes under her wing. She will scold the slothful squatters, but never drop them, always there if or when they decide to accept her help.

Becky has helped me and inspired me in so many ways. She has shown me true happiness comes at a price, one that everyone has the capability of paying. Happiness is purchased from giving your all, but most importantly, from being truthful to yourself. She taught me this lesson when the All-Star Team went to California for Cheerleading Nationals. The invigorating excitement of the city and the nonsensical hormones of adolescence provoked a couple friends and I, into sneaking out of our five star hotel into the darkness of the night. With adrenaline rushing through our veins, we feverishly observed all the unknown sights and sounds of this strange world. The neon lights dazzled our eyes. The feel of cement beneath my feet tickled my heart. The roar of a commercial plane engulfed me, sending chills of excitement down my back. When our quench of adventure had been satisfied, we crept back into our room and went to sleep. The next morning Becky had a talk with us. She looked deep into my eyes, yet again, and asked if I had snuck out the night before. I said that I had not, that I had no clue that anyone had even left. Her eyes seemed to lose their twinkle as her face sank into disappointment. She said nothing and walked away. After disappointing her, I promised to myself I would try to be as honest as possible. I sat down in disgrace and tried to figure out exactly who I am. I dug deep into my brain, opening locked doors, barricaded with ignorance. After weeks I found what I had been searching for. I found the hidden part of myself I had once thought as evil and released it. Being terrified of it my entire life, I shied away from it often times, hoping nobody would notice the little demon. I have today grown to love and adore it. It makes up who I am. I would have never found him if Becky had not been in my life. I will always be in debt to her for her gracious touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment